Ysgol y Castell is situated in the historic town of Rhuddlan. It takes its name from the nearby magnificent 13th century castle built as one of the ‘Iron Ring’ of fortresses (along with Caernarfon and Conwy) by the English monarch Edward 1.
Rhuddlan County Primary School (as it was originally called) first opened on 7th January 1935 following the closure of Rhuddlan’s National School in Castle Street. On September 27th 1954 the first infant children transferred to the new infant extension.
In 1971 the new extension was opened, this included the ‘Community Room’ and on 23rd February 1972 the school was renamed Ysgol y Castell.
Today, Ysgol y Castell is a Community Primary School catering for 212 pupils from 3 – 11 years of age. The school has 8 classes including our nursery class. Ysgol y Castell is a Designated English Medium School.
Children are admitted to the Nursery class for 5 mornings each week in the academic year when they attain their fourth birthday.